Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti, celebrated on 2nd October every year, is a day dedicated to honoring the memory of one of India’s most beloved leaders, Lal Bahadur Shastri. This day coincides with the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, making it a double celebration of two great souls who contributed significantly to India’s history. In this blog post, we will delve into the significance of Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti, why it is celebrated, how you can commemorate this day, and we’ll also suggest some products that align with the values of simplicity, self-reliance, and peace that Shastriji advocated.
Why is Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti Celebrated?
Lal Bahadur Shastri was the second Prime Minister of India, succeeding Jawaharlal Nehru. He played a pivotal role in guiding the nation during challenging times, including the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. His leadership and the slogan “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan” (Hail the Soldier, Hail the Farmer) continue to inspire us to this day. Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti is celebrated to remember his contributions to the country and to promote the values he stood for: simplicity, humility, and self-reliance.
When is Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti in 2023?
This year, Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti falls on Monday, 2nd October 2023.
How Can You Celebrate Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti?
- Pay Tribute: Start your day by paying tribute to Lal Bahadur Shastri by visiting his memorial or by placing a portrait of him in your home.
- Read His Works: Take some time to read books or articles written by or about Shastriji. Gain insights into his life and political ideologies.
- Simplify Your Life: Lal Bahadur Shastri was known for his simple lifestyle. Use this day as an opportunity to declutter and simplify your life.
- Promote Peace: Engage in activities that promote peace, non-violence, and unity. You can participate in discussions, seminars, or even organize peace walks in your locality.
- Support Local and Handmade Products: In line with Shastriji’s advocacy of self-reliance, consider supporting local artisans and craftsmen. Purchase handmade products and encourage small-scale industries.
Products that Reflect Lal Bahadur Shastri’s Values:
- Khadi Clothing: Shastriji was a strong proponent of Khadi, considering it a symbol of self-reliance and simplicity. You can purchase Khadi clothing, such as Khadi Kurtas and Saris, to support this cause.
- Books on Lal Bahadur Shastri: Explore books that delve into the life and legacy of Lal Bahadur Shastri. Reading about his experiences can be both enlightening and inspiring.
- Handcrafted Home Decor: Beautify your living space with handcrafted home decor items that promote local artisans.
- Organic and Eco-Friendly Products: Embrace eco-friendly products that align with Shastriji’s commitment to a sustainable lifestyle.